We are launching an alternate organization to 350.org because we believe that just wishing for something to happen (in other words for the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere to go back to 350 ppm) is absurd in the light that we break a new CO2 emissions record every year.
So, it makes no sense to invest time, effort and money in pursuing an impossible objective.
Let's state here in what we firmly believe: nobody alive today will ever see again 350 ppm.
So, if not 350, where are we headed?
We are "easily" headed for 550 ppm, thus the name of our non-profit.
Before we proceed further, let us state why we believe our non-profit will be more attractive than 350.org:
- We will not, ever, under any circumstances ask for donations. Hell, we won't even accept them even if somebody volunteers some money.
- We won't be dogmatic. We won't believe blindly in models, organizations (e.g. IPCC) or the Pope. We will strive to actually listen to reality.
- If 550 ppm is going to have consequences, we'll focus on minimizing the negative impacts and taking advantage of the positive ones.
- We won't promote any "feel good" actions that are actually irrelevant. So, you can stay at home: no need to pack yourself in diesel buses and march against something.
- We are against carbon taxes (at the end of the day, C taxes are just taxes so thanks, but no thanks).
- We support the discontinuation of subsidies for all energy sources, starting with renewables.
- We believe nuclear energy is safe, dense, reliable, scaleable and affordable.
- We do not believe that reducing the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is THE priority of humanity (actually, it is not).
Now, although we don't accept donations, we do accept $100 USD bets.
If the CO2 concentration does (miraculously) drop to 350, each member of 550.org will contribute $100 USD to: www.feedthechildren.org
If you bet against 550 and we do reach 550 ppm, then you should donate $100 USD to Feed the Children.
Our objective is to educate the world not only respecting climate science, but more importantly, on engineering reality. The world cannot afford to go the way of the Energiewende. We want to be the voice of reason in the climate / energy discourse.
We are open for suggestions and observations. Nothing in 550.org is, or will ever be, written in stone.
Please feel free to add to the conversation in Twitter.